First Actual Post! TV Show Stereotype #1

Hello it’s me again and to start off my blog I’m going to be talking about some stereotypes in one of the best TV shows ever made, Breaking Bad. I just started off watching the show, so I might post more about it later, but being a show about dealing drugs you need Mexican cartels. In the first season Tuco is pretty much the best example of how Mexicans are portrayed as criminals. He is a drug dealer who enjoys what he does and is just plain insane. I mean it is a show about drugs, so it would be odd if they weren’t any Mexicans but that doesn’t excuse it for continuing the stereotype. Tuco is also a violence man who just kills without a thought and it seems to be second nature to him. This continues the stereotype of Mexicans being remorseless killers. That doesn’t mean it wasn’t enjoyable for me to watch him as he wasn’t very offensive, just being a threat to the main characters, Walter and Jesse at the beginning of their story. To that effect he is a very good first antagonist for them and sets up the threat of the world they are about to enter. As you can see even with this negative portrayal of Mexicans, I still enjoy the show and see why it is one of the greatest out there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome!

TV Show Stereotype #6: Brain Food...Literally...